Goab

"I," said the huge beast, "am Grograman, Lord of the Desert of Colors. I am also known as the Many-colored Death."
Bastian felt the deadly power that flowed from the lion's eyes. But he did not avert his own.
When they had measured their strength for some time, the lion looked down. With slow, majestic movements he descended from the dune. When he stepped onto the ultramarine sand, he too changed color, his coat and mane became blue. For a moment the huge beast stood facing Bastian, who had to look up at him as a mouse might look up at a cat. Then suddenly Grograman lay down and touched his head to the ground.
Master," he said. "I am your servant, I await your commands."
"I'd like to get out of this desert," said Bastian. "Can you manage that?" Grograman shook his mane.
"No, master, that I cannot do."
"Why not?"
"Because I carry the desert with me."